Saturday, October 01, 2005

Pictures for rockmother

This is mostly for rockmother but hopefully the rest of you will enjoy as well. Several years ago, I visited Bath, England. Keep in mind, these photos were taken several years ago -- with a regular camera. They were also scanned for an old Web site I had up, and I no longer have the original scans (so they aren't high quality). For that matter, neither is my memory.

While there, a friend of mine (who wrote a book about Jane Austen) took me on a tour of the town Jane called home. We visited the infamous Pump Room.

This is a shot of the inside, which was where Jane used to watch people and make notes about them. Of course, she did this a lot.

A popular thing to do would be to "take of the waters" -- where we would pay 10 pence to drink this water, though I can't exactly remember why. I think it was something that was done back then? Anyone know? RM? If you look closely, through the window, you can see the area where you could do this. It was sort of a little bar.

Of course, here are the infamous Roman baths themselves.


I don't think these are from the garden you spoke of, RM, but I remember thinking the area was beautiful so I took these two shots.

My friend did a wonderful job of showing me around Bath. I found it so charming. As someone once told me, it's a bit like Rome but on a much smaller scale. Now that I've been to Rome, I'm not sure I agree with that statement, but I can understand the sentiment.

Of course, strange men like this are everywhere now, but Bath was the first time I saw anyone do this to make money. Found it interesting.

Can't find the picture I took of my favorite place to eat -- Sally Lunn's Buns. Definitely good. Ah, memories.

10 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, Blogger Esther said...

My apologies if the pictures don't line up right with the text. It looks almost perfect in netscape on my PC (there is one spot by the flowers that my "I" gets wonky) but on Safari on my mac, it looks horrible. Sigh. Know I tried... darn blogger, lol.

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger beakerkin said...

There are sections of Brooklyn and the Village in NYC with that same feel.

I am reading Eurabia and that is a winner. It explains what we are up against.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

they aren't high quality

They look good to me! Seeing these photos was a nice way to start my day. Thanks!

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Esther said...

Beak, I've been meaning to read that book. Glad you like it!

AOW, thanks. :) The pix though that I put up of the cats are like triple the resolution. But I'm glad you enjoyed!

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these. They are great pics!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger beakerkin said...

Eurabia is an excellent book but remember we encounter mostly far left types.

When Jason gets back I may do a joint post on a sugested reading list. The problem at hand is the far left.

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics, no complaints from Esther!
Thanks for the tour.

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too visited bath. It is an amazing place and one I really want to visit again. Thanks for the pics, they bought back some very "warm and fuzzy" memories.

Patrick

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger L said...

Whew! It has taken me ages to get Blogger to let me add a comment!

Esther, I think the first is Gay Street, leading down into town from the Circus (the World's first traffic circle, allegedly), though I can't be sure.

The flower beds are I think in Victoria Park. The Botanical Gardens are at the far end of the park, so you possibly did not see them.

I would be fascinated to see what your friend wrote about Jane Austen. Of course, she did not like Bath at all and was quite depressed while she was living here.

The Pump Room! Home of famously overpriced afternoon tea and where, as you say, you can purchase the spa water to drink. An acquired taste! I always think it tastes like very diluted vomit and have never repeated the experience after the first time.

It is so interesting to see these shots - how the tourist sees things!

The bloke in the silver get-up is no longer around. Then there was a blue bloke - and he got pissed off with tactile interference from the public. There is now a silver lady. And so it goes!

Thank you so much for sharing these - and for your recent comments on my blog as well.

Think I'll sign of while the going is good! How many others find that Blogger can be ornery at times?

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Esther said...

RM, sorry blogger's been a pain. Hey, I have a picture of Blue Man too!! I just thought it would be overkill to do both. How funny. You're right that I didn't see the gardens. I walked past those flowers down that street. I'm so glad you enjoyed the pictures. Btw, I thought the spa water was pretty rank too. But I was glad I had the experience.

Here's the book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0670874256/qid=1128349749/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/104-6385805-8255147?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

 

Post a Comment

<< Home