Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Flip-side of Cindy Sheehan

This is a letter from a father who lost his son in Iraq. Disgusted by Cindy Sheehan (as many are), he wrote to Larry Elder this beautiful note. Also, if you go to the link, Elder included some rather choice quotes of Ms. Sheehan (that's for you, Gindy). Here are the very moving words from Paul A. Castellano.

I was a philosophy professor; I am a former Marine; I am a conservative; and I am absolutely furious at Cindy Sheehan.

Why is this woman receiving the attention she is getting? Why is the media giving this woman the opportunity to profligately disseminate an obviously radical left-wing platform when there are those of us who are experiencing the same loss of a child killed in Iraq, and yet we don't get the opportunity to appear before thousands of people to share our thoughts and platforms? Is it because they support her and yet can't express the same views without losing credibility?

I didn't vote for the president in the 2000 election. I didn't trust his politics. When he was elected in 2004, he was my choice only as a protest vote. . . . Yet after 9/11 (I am a former New Yorker), I thought he demonstrated that he was a leader. When he decided to fight terrorism abroad, I was encouraged. My son then decided to enlist in the Army. As a former Marine, I couldn't oppose him, yet I wanted him to wait until the heat of the conflict passed. He refused; he was resolute; he wanted to go.

My understanding is that Mrs. Sheehan's son volunteered three times, including the mission that finally took his life. My son didn't volunteer for the mission that took his life. Her son was killed in the line of duty and should receive all honors that go with that sacrifice. My son was killed (28 Jan 05) protecting the Iraqi people during the preparation leading up to the elections in Iraq. My son died four days shy of his 21st birthday, and he was killed by friendly fire.

Now let me ask you, who has more of a right to go barnstorming around the country vilifying the president than I? Friendly fire, Larry. How dare she insult and degrade the memory of her son, my son and all the men and women killed there by her shameless politicking! I understand better than most the depth, breadth, width and length of her grief at the loss of a child. I am reminded every day of his loss; I miss him more than words could ever express. I, however, would never dishonor him or others by a selfish, self-serving display of radical politics wrapped in false pain.

I carry a unit pin from the 25th infantry division with me constantly, as a reminder of my son's service. I wear his dog tags along with mine as reminder of his sacrifice. Every time I see Mrs. Sheehan I cry out of anger, rage, disappointment and frustration at the dishonor she has levied on those who have fallen.

My son Stephen (pronounced Steven) Castellano, and dare I say all others who have died providing for the freedom of Iraq people, deserves better. . .

By the way, I supported the president in his decision -- and still do.

Sincerely, Paul A. Castellano

7 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Blogger L said...

Let me tell you a story - and I'll try to be brief.

At the start of the last Iraq war, we bought two huge flags, one American and one Union Flag of the United Kingdom. We joined them together and went to London on the weekend of one of the first and biggest anti-war marches. We did this to show our support for the war against Saddam and for the alliance between our nations - and for the brave men and women of any nationality and origin standing against this vile dictator.

We started by standing in front of the US Embassy in Grosvenor Square. After a while some mid-eastern looking people approached us. We thought, "Uh-oh. What now?" They were Kurds. They asked if they could stand with us and help to protect us against any trouble, which they did. At one point they begged to be allowed to help hold the flags. They told us many appalling stories of Saddam's brutality.

Later we moved to Whitehall where the anti-war march was routed. We were closely guarded by the police.

We stood there in dignified silence while shipping a lot of abuse and threats of violence from the "peace"niks, one of whom attempted to set light to the flags before I intervened. Our action was only reported in the Daily Telegraph (Daily Torygraph).

One anti-war protestor who looked like a Palestinian stepped out of the march, came over to me and asked what we stood for. I told him that we were here to support the war against Saddam. He replied, "That's totally cool with me. You've got a right to. You are brave and I wish you both well." Just shows you. Most of the anti-war protestors who took any notice of us were, however, vile.

A great many ordinary Brits came over to us (those just passing by - not on the march) and said how much they agreed with us.

The point of all this? The anti-war industry has been extremely well organised, shouts loudest and understands the media very well. We can too easily get a very wrong impression because of the likes of this Sheehan woman, and feel we are alone in our opinions. It ain't necessarily so, as our experience demonstrated.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Esther said...

Sorry for the blood pressure cooker, Rory. :) Right on!

Gindy, I'm sorry I missed that!!!

RM -- you so totally ROCK!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing that!!

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"and frustration at the dishonor she has levied on those who have fallen"
This is spot on.
This stupid wench belittled her own son's existence and sacrifice.

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just another thought:

It is amazing how people who cannot help themselves (usually in dealings with life) feel that it makes them qualified to help others.
Just look at this post:
http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/2005/09/moonbattery_is_1.html

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Thanks for the trauma, felis! LOL! Yikes!!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger LA Sunset said...

Someday, when she is old and all alone, maybe she will realize the folly of her actions. But until the media discards her, she will be on her maladaptive emotional high. When they are through with her, she will crash and burn.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Deadman said...

Elder missed one of that media whore's best lines about the US needing to end the military occupation of New Orleans. The woman is a certifiable fucknut. Plain and simple.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home