Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Commander in Chief

OK, so I watched the new network show about the presidency -- being filled by a woman (my friend calls it Breast Wing) -- which premiered last night. There were some things to like, some cliches and some stuff that just left me scratching my head.

I like the premise -- the first female president, how her husband and family handle it, etc. Right off the bat, we meet her (Geena Davis), as she is in France trying to secure their help in getting the release of a Nigerian woman who is about to be stoned to death for adultery. When Geena becomes president, she is even more determined to free this woman -- but now she has the power of the free world behind her. When it's pointed out to Geena that the Islamic countries won't like a female president (people are trying to get her to resign so the Speaker, Donald Sutherland, can take over), she says they'll just have to get used to it.

While I applaud the writers for diving into this particular subject matter (lord knows the West Wing screws it up every time they try), they certainly oversimplified a HUGE thing going on. First, gee.... it's great that she wants to rescue this one woman. But this isn't realistic. She can't butt her -- and our air force -- into Nigeria's business like that. And does she intend to do this for every woman who stands ready to be stoned? And in only Nigeria or every country? The climax scene had her bringing the Nigerian ambassador into what I'm guessing was the situation room. There, she lays out their plan to send a commando unit to extract the woman. The ambassador backs down and says he'll call the big cheese. HOLD THE PHONE FOLKS. Isn't stuff like that supposed to be covert? Do you really announce you're going to invade another country?! Doesn't make sense to me. Of course, Hollywood style, Nigeria cooperates and as Geena gives her first big speech to the country, the woman is turned over to our troops (who were allowed to land there?!?!). I think a more suitable, realistic ending would have been that as the President gives her speech, we see the woman killed anyway. Now THAT would have been something.

8 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Esther but it sounds terribly corny and pretentious.
I don't think I'll ever watch it
BTW, I don’t see ANY issue whatsoever with a woman president.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah. Why can't something be given the realistic ending rather than the wishful outcome? I've always found that most (not all) American shows have a contrived happy ending, when a sad one would have suited the plot better. British shows tend to be the opposite. It would be nice to find a good medium...

Aside from that, what was the acting of Geena Davis like? I haven't seen her since Beatlejuice

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Batya said...

No offense, but America's a bissel retarded on this. Quite a few country's have had female executive leaders, and there's one thing they all had/have in common. They don't do anything specifically female, besides sitting on the toilet, if you'll excuse me.

For a woman to be elected to top office, she has to be more man than man in her policies.

so if that's the story, it's far from realistic.

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger L said...

It all reminds me of one of the best quotes I have ever heard on women's liberation: "We'll only know there's been real progress when we have mediocre women in the top jobs". Can't recal who said this, but they were right on the button!

This show you mention is not available to me in the UK. We did have West Wing which I thought sucked after the first hour or so (too "hip" to be real or even amusing, though lots of the characters were fun to watch).

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger L said...

OOOOOH, Esther!

I have just seen your link to my blog! How fantastic of you! Thanks a lot. I am really, really flattered and depart for the gym feeling much stronger!

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger Deadman said...

suitable, realistic ending would have been that as the President gives her speech, we see the woman killed anyway.

Kind of like the West Bank.

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Esther said...

No worries, felis. I tend to agree with you. And right on with your last statement!

rachy, a good medium...ah, a centrist view. I like it! :) Geena is always solid though I'd like to see her even more forceful. You haven't seen Thelma and Louise?!? If not, you MUST.

No offense taken, Batya and you're right. Interesting to note, btw, the creator of the show, Rod Laurie, born in Israel! I'm guessing that's why he had the chutzpah to even take on Islam.

rockmother, you nailed West Wing pretty much. And you're very welcome on the link--thanks for the one you gave me!

mark...yep, kinda!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Esther said...

I didn't know that, Gindy. Does what I say veer from what he's saying?

Rory, they even said the word, "Sharia" -- I almost fell over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home