Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Musharraf's Historic Turn

Daniel Pipes discusses his amazing speech and the surprising warming up of relations between Israel and Pakistan. A couple of nights ago, I learned why this might be happening.

I was at an AIPAC event with someone high up in LA's homeland security. He related a story about one of Musharraf's assassination attempts. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share the specifics, but suffice it to say that one of the attempts was foiled because of... drum roll please... Israeli technology. I can't think of a better reason to start showing Israel a little respect... can you?

5 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Israeli technology and intelligence data.
I am sure the Iraqis could also benefit from it (if they forgot about their prejudices for a while).

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very amazing speech. i hope it leads to open relationships between Muslim countries and Israel.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Deadman said...

Hmmm - Waiting for the shoe to fall.

I smell a rat. Hate to be pessimistic, but Musharraff has had a two-faced attitude with regard to the US and terrorism. I don't trust him as far as I could throw Pakistan.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger L said...

We all want to be optimistic. But - even if Musharraff is genuine - it can only be a matter of time before he is assassinated. Then goodness knows what will replace him...

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger birdwoman said...

They shouldn't need a reason. If they need a reason, they are fairweather friends.

But then, maybe someone over there is following common sense instead of religious fervor. That would be a good reason to start showing respect...

(*)>

 

Post a Comment

<< Home