Saturday, January 08, 2005

Chicken or the Egg?

It's really peeved me in the past to hear members of my government (or fellow citizens or annoying govt folk/princes from other countries) say that hatred against the US around the world is caused by our relationship with Israel. Seems like a convenient crock of crap from people who have their own anti-Israel agenda. A while back, I read an article that discussed said hatred of the USA. Is it tied to Israel?

But unlike most, this article took a fresh approach -- what if it's not Israel they hate but rather they hate Israel because of her being a staunch ally to the US? I wasn't blogging at the time but it's something I feel could use further examination. What do you all think? Read the article, "Eye of the Storm: What if it's not Israel they loathe?" by Amir Taheri on Naomi Ragen's site.

5 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Gindy said...

Using Israel as an excuse is a straw man argument. This article was a great find. Amir Taheri writes great stuff. Sometimes the articles are a little long, but he knows what he is talking about.

Also, it seems to me Jack Straw almost has an obsession with Israel I don't understand. He seems eternally confused about how to solve the problem of the middle east and who is responsible for what.

Great find.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Esther said...

Anytime I hear the name Jack Straw in a story, my eyes roll as I wait for the next anti-Israel/anti-American statement to come out of his mouth. Can't stand that guy.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger American On Line said...

From the article: "Straw was echoing the conventional wisdom according to which a solution to that problem would transform relations between Islam and the West from what is almost a clash of civilizations to one of cuddly camaraderie."

Straw is the kind of mouthpiece that would put Israel in the jackpot, and when his Neville Chamberlain type of advice, damaged and hurt Israel in the end, he would say: "Oh my, good god, I'm so sorry, I regret my having pursued that policy, as I know see how it was not truly understood."

Hey , Straw, as Robert Dinero told Harvey Keitel in Taxi Driver: "Suck on this."

Arabs everywhere, except Gaza and W.B., could give a crap less about Palestinians. Toilet cleaners and waiters and street cleaners in S.A., Iran, U.A.E., etc., hate those fat, overstuffed tyrants that stay in power and oppress them, with the USA and the West's toleration or outright support for oil reasons, and those arabs would be spending their time venting and railing against their oppressors but would prefer not being dead the next day.

So, if asked, they vent, but they vent against the Jews, cause, well, that's always approved.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Esther said...

WELL SAID!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Gindy said...

It's hard to argue with that.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home