Friday, January 07, 2005

Different Kinds of Bravery

Today had me out of the house for the most part, which is why I haven't done much with my blog or posting comments on others' blogs. One thing I did today was see an amazing movie, Hotel Rwanda. Don Cheadle was brilliant. So was Sophie Okonedo. It's a hard, hard film to sit through, very upsetting but what an experience. I cannot recommend it enough. It will definitely have you talking about it for quite some time. Makes me profoundly sad (not that I wasn't already) about the genocide that happened there. To honor that, I remind you of the friendship of two very special people, David Gewirtzman and Jacqueline Murekatete, both survivors of genocide -- Mr. Gewirtzman from the Holocaust and Ms. Murekatete from Rwanda. Read about them in this moving past article from the Washington Times.

I think Nonie Darwish is an amazing writer. She is brave, and she is open. Her Web site, Arabs for Israel, fills me with hope. Here is a wonderful article of hers I think people should read:

Inside the Forbidden Country
By Nonie Darwish
I recently appeared as a speaker at the second annual Jerusalem Summit held at Israel's King David Hotel.  In doing so, I deliberately flaunted the rules that govern Arab behavior toward Israel.  Israel's neighbors, the dictatorships that compose the Arab League, forbid their subjects to visit or do business with Israel and its citizens.  I am an American raised in Gaza and Egypt; needless to say, I expected my visit to raise some eyebrows. Read the rest here.

3 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Esther said...

No, not a documentary. Here's the synopsis from the internet movie data base (www.imdb.com/search -- one of the greatest sites ever!):

"Don Cheadle stars in the true-life story of Paul Rusesabagina, a hotel manager who housed over a thousand Tutsis refugees during their struggle against the Hutu militia in Rwanda."

Sort of like "Schindler's List" for Rwanda, only he seems like he was more honorable than Schindler (not the movie version--the real guy, I mean).

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger RomanWanderer said...

Saw a clip of an interview with Don Cheadle on comdeycentral.com (the daily show).
He says that the original hotel owner, I forget the name, was on the set to assure that everything was portrayed realisticaly. hiw wife, however, was too traumatized to show up. He himself still has nightmares. (they live in Belgium now).

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Esther said...

That's good to know, Wanderer. Thanks! Makes the movie even better to know such care was taken to be authentic. It really is an amazingly powerful film. Breaks your heart, especially since it's true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home