Thursday, January 05, 2006

My Take On Munich

I didn't pay, don't worry. Got in free with someone from the Writers' Guild. And boy did he have questions for me after the movie ended. That said, here's my take.

Let's start at the very beginning. Flashing across the screen were the words, 'Inspired by real events.' Why not just say the truth? Inspired -- but it's FICTION. That I could have respected. As my bf said, all people will catch are the words real and events. He's probably right.

The film had fine production values... just a questionable script. In the beginning, they show a bit of what happened in Munich but not all. Yet as I watched it and Hatikva played, I found myself getting very emotional. But a strange thing happened by the end, when they showed what "really" happened to the athletes. The movie had been so violent, just like the characters, I had become immune to the violence and the deaths of the athletes did nothing to me but rather I really saw myself detaching to the point that I was noticing the lightening, the other production parts... I was numb. I'm guessing that was sort of the point, but if I'm not engaged in the film anymore, that's really not a great way to make a point. And it's not like I am one to not lose myself in a movie. Hell, I will lose it at well done commercials. I'm a sap. I love losing "me" and getting so into what I'm watching. So if I had that reaction, I'm guessing almost everyone did. Beak?

The movie was very graphic... very graphic with the killings, with sex, dead naked bodies, etc. I felt about Spielberg doing that the same way I laugh at every former female child star having to get caught partying and posing nude in Maxim. So desperate to shed their former persona that they're shouting, "Look world, I've changed!" Spielberg, you're still simplistic. Showing naked bodies and graphic violence doesn't mean your movie-making has matured. Get over it.

Another thing that bothered me was that Palestinians were allowed to make their case, spew their lies and no one in the movie challenged them! Things like the PLO thug saying things like Israelis spill Palestinian blood, all they want is a homeland, a nation (rather than dead Jews), then one of the Mossad said, "We've acted like Europeans toward the Palestinians! Another lovely moment was when one of the team said the only blood that matters is Jewish blood. What??? What a bunch of propaganda hooey! Now anyone who doesn't know any better is going to think what they said is the gospel. For that alone, he deserves to have his Jew card revoked! (No, we don't really do that but you get what I mean.) And no, Schindler's List doesn't make up for that. Only SS could make a movie about the Holocaust and tell it from a gentile's point of view! Would people have embraced Hotel Rwanda had it been told from the useless white UN worker, Nick Nolte's, point of view??? I can't imagine the African-American community not being up in arms about that if it had happened that way. Anyway, I digress.

Then we get Castro's stooge (SS) saying that the CIA paid the mastermind, Salameh, not to kill American diplomats and when Avner and his men were set to do the hit, 3 Americans messed it up, most likely Salameh's CIA buddies. As far as I know (and feel free to correct me), this is soooooooo NOT true! He really made the US look pretty horrible in this movie. But that shouldn't be a shock coming from Spielberg. I'm sure many of you will have comments about this point!

They were also very big on showing how scared the terrorists were, in an effort to humanize them.

They constantly had people making speeches -- pontificating on SS's liberal, pie-in-the-sky, cycle of violence bullshit. At one point, I leaned over to my friend and asked him, "Isn't this getting a bit redundant (showing each killing)?" He was like, no, he was into it. After the movie ended, he said about a minute after I asked that, it totally hit him and he felt the exact same way. Made me giggle.

All in all, unless you want to raise your blood pressure...take a pass.

14 Comments:

At 1:25 AM, Blogger L said...

Sounds like a real crock of shite to me! I think that all these Apologist Jews are soooo dangerous. The British Chief Rabbi (Jonathan - sorry Sir Jonathan Sachs) is a case in point. He recently bleated on about a "global tsunami of antisemitism" and then went on to the usual apologist shit about the middle east.

Oh please!

I once had the good fortune to pass Jonathan Sachs in the street, which gave me the opportunity to say to him simply, "You should be ashamed of yourself...", and then let him think about it. Still, he is now a knight of the realm (tell you anything?), and I am just Jo Public, so less than something you scrape off your shoes.

That's why I so appreciate OTB. What people say here does count.

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Esther,
Now anyone who doesn't know any better is going to think what they said is the gospel.

Young people--as in teenagers, most of whom are avid movie goers--are going to swallow everything that Spielberg puts on the screen, especially with Flashing across the screen were the words, 'Inspired by real events.' This "inspiration" will morph into "Here's the real story" in the minds of many who see Munich. Therein lies danger fed by propaganda.

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger cube said...

I worry about the young people, who don't bother to find out the true history, getting a head full of mush from garbage like this. What is the world was Spielberg thinking?

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger birdwoman said...

Hey, I finally saw harry potter last night. My friend was all like maybe we should see munich and I was all like no I want to have fun.

very glad I vetoed.
(*)>

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Sergeant America said...

I remember 1972 ... No movie could ever portray the angst I felt.


Disclaimer: Angst, not used in the Existential sense.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger beakerkin said...

Drummaster had an added bonus running Beakerkin commentary. I wish they could have knocked off a few more KGB goons.

Now if we can only get Ducky to review Chicken Little

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

Young people--as in teenagers, most of whom are avid movie goers--are going to swallow everything that Spielberg puts on the screen

I agree with this AOW's observation.
And I bet that its status will grow into a documentry (in many eyes).

"And no, Schindler's List doesn't make up for that."

What other message, apart from - "Not all Germans were all that bad." did Schindler's List deliver?

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Esther said...

I hate the apologists too, RM. LOL about your encounter with JS. Wish I had seen THAT. And your comments are always appreciated -- and we look forward to them! Thanks for the kind words. :)

AOW/cube/felis, yes, it's the kids I most worry about. Not like they're not being radicalized enough in school. Sigh.

Gindy thank you for reminding me! When Golda came on screen I gave a little 'yippee!' A few minutes into it, I started giving the finger (this was the way I clued my pal into whether I approved of stuff). He said, "I thought you liked her?" I then leaned over to my friend and said, "There is no freakin' way GOLDA would have ever said that." I totally forgot about that until you wrote this. Don't forget, he only wrote nice things about Schindler. I know he wasn't all that nice. At least according to my mom's cousin who was on the list, who used to see OS take little Jewish girls aside and then rape them. Another person SS chose to admire! Nice.

BW -- WELL DONE!!!!!!!

I hear ya, Sarge.

Beak, LOL!!!! Lucky Drummaster. Would have loved hearing it with Beak commentary!

Felis -- exactly!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Deadman said...

PASS

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rockmother,
That's so interesting about your encounter with "Sir Jonathan." He always reminded me of what used to be referred to as "Court Jews." I wonder what suddenly made him so nervous that he's talking about a
"tsunami of anti-Semitism." Where the hell has he been all these years? He sounds like a man who's just come out of hibernation.

Esther, thanks for your sacrifice in the service of OTB. I agree with you and the others about how this film will most likely be accepted as gospel by those who were born years after the event. After all, they're already subjected to enough morally equivalent bullshit and this will only reinforce that mindset.

After what you've described, I'm not sure I could ever sit through this movie in a public place knowing how Spielberg has played fast and loose with the truth. But, And the fact that it's generating all this controversy can only be good for the box office...another good reason to wait until it comes out in DVD if you can't get in to see it for free.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger (((Thought Criminal))) said...

Mona Charen's take on Munich

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Mark -- smart move!

Thanks, Rory, haha.

Bonnie, exactly!

Beamish, that review was AWESOME!

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Well, I wouldn't have seen it anyway, 'cause I wouldn't want to watch it anyway what with the R rating. But that was pretty much what I expected. Apologizing for Justice against terrorist, while humanizing their cause. Will it ever stop?
As for, "Inspired by true events"- well, I guess "Narnia" was inspired by true events, too, Mr. Speilberg...

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "based on" is a real big problem. Even if those who watch later learn the true story, or have learned it but not throughly, the movie version is likely to stick in their head and continue to influence their thinking many years from now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home