Saturday, November 05, 2005

The "Why I Wasn't Around Friday" Report

I had to leave for work at 6:30AM. After work, I had to head home, drop a few things off and then leave for my boyfriend's office because we needed to drive (it took 2 hours for 26 miles--ugh!) down to Anaheim because we were going to see The Rolling Stones -- floor seats, VIP hospitality suite for FREE, thanks to a friend of his! Didn't get home until 1:30AM. Took a half hour to get out of the parking lot! Let me tell you all about this amazing evening.

First things first, we were to head to the VIP Ameriquest Club (they sponsored the tour). It was positioned sort of like a sky box but it was an entire bar/seating area with a buffet. There was a coconut crusted salmon, which was delicious and I'm not even a salmon fan, and there was chicken marsala, one of my favorite dishes except not their version. Oh well. Fifty percent isn't bad.

While we were eating, the opening act came on at 7PM on the nose. Toots and the Maytals, the original Ska band, even pre-dating Bob Marley, performed and they were terrific. After we were done eating, we headed to our seats. I've never had floor seats at a stadium concert. Very wild to be that close. When the Stones finally came on, around 9PM, they immediately got the house jumping with "Start Me Up." For a bunch of old men, those guys can really rock out. I always wondered how Mick could remain so lanky and thin. I don't really know any guys over 30, never mind 60, who are like that. After the concert ended, I finally understood. Man does he have energy! But back to a few concert highlights.

Their stage was really impressive. At first, we thought it was simply part of Angels Stadium. Then at one point, I think it was during "Sympathy for the Devil," fire came out the very top of it -- so much that it warmed us there on the floor. The crowd went nuts.


At one point, part of the stage traveled something like 200 feet into the audience. While they were there, they did a couple of songs. When it headed back, there was a huge Stones' mouth/tongue balloon type thing that was green with flowers. Hilarious. They got rid of it quickly and the stage went back to normal position.

For those who know me, I pretty much sit during concerts. It's very rare I stand up and dance. I'm just a sitter. Love sitting. I think I was up and dancing for almost the entire show. Just a great, rip roaring night. By the way, I'm not even a Stones fan. Imagine how much I'd have liked it if I was.

The set list consisted pretty much of the following, as much as I can remember:

Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
She's So Cold
Tumblin' Dice
Oh No, Not You Again
Night Time (by Ray Charles)
Slipping Away (Keith Richards solo --ugh; there was another but we don't remember what the heck it was)
Miss You
Rough Justice
Bitch
Get Off My Cloud
Honky Tonk Woman
Sympathy For The Devil
Painted Black
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction

Encore:
You Can't Alway Get What You Want
Jumpin' Jack Flash


Simply amazing.

19 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuses, excuses! Glad you had such a great time!!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Haha. Thank you. :)

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Oops, forgot a couple of things. One -- I didn't take these pictures. I "borrowed" them from the offical web site.

The other was I forgot to talk about the event staff and how they were obsessed with catching people using their cell phones to take pictures or record. They yelled at the woman next to me. My boyfriend made the most appropriate joke after: "G-d forbid someone use a cell phone to take a blurry picture that you'll never want to look at again but smoking a ton of pot is perfectly acceptable." He was so right. I swear I inhaled enough to make an entire joint. But cell phones.... well.... Idiots.

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Esther,
Toots and the Maytals - I just love these old timers (Monkey Man is my favourite song).
Unfortunately i cannot say the same about the Stones.
Still I am very happy you had such a grand time.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

up and dancing for almost the entire show...By the way, I'm not even a Stones fan.
That says it all!

I looked over the set list. No "Honky Tonk Women"? One of my Stones' favorites.

My neighbor's son, who just turned 35, is a die-hard Stones' fan. He attends every single one of their concerts in the D.C. area.

Remember when Jagger said something about there's nothing worse that being over a certain age and singing rock 'n roll? Well, he and the gang (Hard to believe Keith Richards has lasted this long!) are still at it. Good genes, I suppose, because they certainly haven't led healthy lives.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger (((Thought Criminal))) said...

You could have sold those tickets for around 18 barrels of oil.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

beamish:

i love the rationale.

*********************

as for the stones.... i wish i had the power to revive Hendrix by taking the life force from the stones. what a life it would be.

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am soooooooooooooooo jealous!!!

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boyfriend's response was "Why are they living my life?", but I'm thrilled for you. You deserve to be treated special.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger LA Sunset said...

I saw them in 94. Quite an awesome event, for sure. If you ever get a chance to see Paul McCartney or U2, I would highly recommend them, as well.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Felis, I'm not a fan either -- that was what was so wild about my loving it. And Toots played Monkey Man too.

AOW, look again -- that song is on my list. :) It IS hard to believe Keith Richards is still around, lol.

Beamish, LOL!!!!! But it would have been an insult to the friend.

DM, I agree.

kbny and ellenhales.... knowing you two would have wanted to be there made me have even more fun -- in your honors. But I blame you both for my not caring for the Stones. You obviously failed in your educating me as a youngster. ;)

LA -- I would love to see them!!!!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Deadman said...

an entire bar/seating area with a buffet.

It's a far cry from Altamont, baby!!!!

http://www.echoes.com/rememberaday/altamont.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-05-26-altamont_x.htm

It sounds like you had a great time, Esther, and the playlist is amazing - Lot's of their old, good stuff (they lost me after Black and Blue, but I will always be a fan of the oldies. I have never seen them live.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Read your links, Mark. I had known a tiny bit about the event before but wow. You're not kidding. Definitely a far cry...thankfully! And if you like them and can see them live, I highly recommend it!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Deadman said...

Esther - there was always a lot of animosity between the Stones and the Dead over Altamont. The Stones flt that the presence of HA (Dead followers) was the cause of the incident.

However, at every Dead show that I attended there were always HA out in colors, but I never got anything but a good vibe from their shows, something that was always a hallmark of their concerts and unique.

I think the USA Today article poinrts out that it really was an aberration, and it wouldn't have mattered who was there or why.

The only thing that has kept me from seing the Stones is the prohibitive cost of tickets. We set a record this year by paying $300.00 ($150.00 each ticket) to see the Eagles, more than I ever spent on any single show and thirty times what I spent to see them 25 years ago.

The times they are a-changin'!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

mark:

bob dylan- a master writer

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Batya said...

Wow! I'm dancing just reading the titles, and I was never a "fan" either!

They bring the term "hyper" into another dimension!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Mark, that's wild. 300 for the Eagles? Oy. Can't remember what I paid. I know I paid a fortune for Streisand several years ago. I know, idiot. ;) But I was so excited back then. I went to see the Dead about 27 years ago, dragged by KBNY. Did I just say 27 years? Anyway, I thought they were terrific. Not enough to follow around the country, but still...

DM, I never got Dylan's appeal. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

LOL Muse, so true.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Deadman said...

Drummaster:

Dylan - Yes. Listened to Concert For Bangladesh today for the first time in over twenty years. It takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry! (Dead did that one too).

Esther - KBNY???

I never thought anyone was good enough to follow around the country.

I can see wanting to see Streisand. Some people are musuical legends even if their politics and personalities suck!

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Esther, lucky you!!!

The Stones are true legends and command respect--if for no other reason than the length of time they have survived in such a fickle industry.

I'm not surprised to hear that their show was so good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home