Saturday, August 27, 2005

Odd Custom

Hat tip to Rory for this strange story. Apparently there is a practice at Sde Boker Academy, located in the Negev, that might surprise a lot of us. What is this time-honored tradition? Let me tell you.

It's losing your virginity on top of David Ben-Gurion's grave. Apparently, students have been doing this for years.

"My friends and I always talked about it," one grad told Radio South. "We'd heard about it for years"
  
The student said that while he had never had sex at the gravesite, many of his friends "seized the opportunity" to maintain the school tradition.


But my favorite line from this article?

Academy angry, Ben-Gurion's grandson happy

His grandson is happy?! Too funny.

If the information is true, I think it's great. I'm happy that years after my grandfather died, he continues to inspire our youth and still gives the country an erection."
 
"But I wouldn't have thought a cold, hard stone was the best place to have sex," he said.


What happened to the backseat of one's car?

8 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger beakerkin said...

That is plain wierd but Bill Clinton might get some ideas about his memorial.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

beak:

don't put the ideas in Clinton's head.
****************************

glad to see the grandson has a sense of humor. maybe he's a comic.

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What happened to the backseat of one's car?"

Esther, I think that may be too traditional for a lot of Israelis. And speaking of traditions, another one recently came to light. There's a museum that was established to honor the Navy, but now it turns out that the female guides who conduct the tours there, had a tradition of posing topless and being photographed in front of some of the exhibits. I have a feeling that people who (mistakenly) thought Israel was a traditional society, didn't exactly have these sorts of traditions in mind.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Esther said...

LOL Beak!

He's a good sport, that's for sure, DM.

Rory, another interesting one...lol.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Esther,
This has to be one of the weirdest stories ever. Beak's comment here is priceless!

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger LA Sunset said...

I guess it takes all kinds to make a world. I would have preferred someplace a little more softer in texture and atmosphere, but hey, to each his own.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger birdwoman said...

that is totally creepy. And I think Clinton might take it a step farther... but explaining would be way too graphic.

(*)>

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachy, Obviously, I can't speak for all Israelis, but I was married to one who was virtually immune to being revolted. Maybe it's because the guys who go through commando training are subjected to stuff that would probably freak out the average person. In fact, his cousin in the Golani Brigade told me that one of the things they did as part of his "entrance exam" was to put him into a confined space and fill it with crawling insects. He had to admit, however, it was the thing that nearly did him in, but I know my husband wouldn't have been bothered by it at all. I guess for people with that a high a threshold, the cemetery wouldn't be a problem, but I feel the same way you do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home