Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Some in Israel Rescue Gaza Pets

We've heard story after story about people having to leave everything when they were removed from their homes in Gaza, but what about the animals left behind? Thankfully, a group of animal rescuers were sent to round up stray cats and dogs. Hat tip to Rory on this one.

Tal Levy, evacuated on Thursday by Israeli troops and police from the Gaza settlement Kfar Darom, said he saw many stray animals in the area before he left.

“Horses, dogs and cats and even chickens were wandering the streets,” he told Israel’s NRG Web site, affiliated with its Maariv newspaper. “There is no one to feed or care for them.”


Regular readers of my blog know that this kind of statement breaks my heart. I'm grateful though that someone is looking to help out these little critters.

Animals found in the settlements will be put in shelters in Israel until new homes are found for them. Israel has put out public service announcements calling on people to adopt them.

“We were promised that if they do decide to put even one animal to sleep, they would let us know 24 hours in advance. I will then go and rescue it,” Kuzi said.


Kuzi is now one of my new favorite people!

He said there was no clear estimate of the number of pets in the settlements and he expected to find mostly stray cats. Settlers had officially registered 150 dogs, but Kuzi said most of them probably left with their owners.

Cats always get the short end of the deal. I had to hide this story from my two sensitive felines.

4 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is distressing. Cats always do seem to receive the short end of the stick. I'm be hiding this news from my three babies.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Tran Sient said...

I suppose they would be on a stick if they get left behind.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Esther,
Between blogging frenzies, I caught a snippet of this on FNC. Glad you posted this.

I can't abide cruelty to animals.

Our oldest, Sheba (age 17) was literally an alley rescue. My heart goes out to the stray cats in Gaza.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Warren said...

I also heard that the trees, (orchards), planted by the settlers, are being transplanted for eventual return to their owners.

Doesn't this whole thing point out the difference between Israel and the "Palestinians". No human life was lost, the IDF acted in a humane and sympathetic manner and didn't over react to the small amount of violence.

You can only imagine what this would have looked like if situation were reversed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home