Saturday, March 26, 2005

Special Guest Appearance

Hey All.... My friend a. renee from BlackBerrySpeak Urban News Magazine wanted to do a guest blog entry on here and since you all know how crazed I am for time these days, I said, "Hell ya!" So here's what's on her mind:

Looking for Bobby Fisher. I believe in free speech. But your right to speak doesn't preclude my right to respond. Bobby Fisher is a chess master. If you're lucky enough to be of the age to remember his matches against Spassky and Karpov of Russia, you must recall that the tension was as palpable as any March Madness game. This country was revited.

As of today, after nine months of detainment in Japan for trying to leave the country with an expired American passport, Fisher is a citizen of Iceland. At his Iceland press conference, Fisher had a lot to say. Mostly anti-Semitic. Mostly to Jewish ESPN reporter Jeremy Schapp, whose father Dick Schapp, after spending time with Fisher, said of the prodigy, 'There isn't a sane bone in his body.' Jeremy's response to Fisher's rantings and denouncement of his father: 'I don't believe we've seen anything today to not support my father's pronouncement.' Good for you, Jeremy.

Targets of racial and ethnic discrimination don't always know how to respond. When the action is public, so much more thought goes into how to respond. Too often we suck it up because we're tired of this shit or we just don't want to bring any more notice to ourselves. And the only way I know, as an African-American, to gauge when I've given the appropriate response is assessing in a calm moment 'do I feel good about myself?' Jeremy Schapp, I feel good knowing you were at that press conference. You proved diversity in 'Big Brother' is a need, not a want. I haven't found an audio of the press conference online, but I'm sure Sportscenter will continue to show highlights through the weekend. Even with March Madness, Fisher's madness was shown in the top half of the hour.

8 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

It's very sad when someone clings to the lost "popularity" by any means.

What can I say, he is not very original as an Anti-Semite and Anti-American, he should've stuck to chess playing.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger RoadKnight said...

A. Renee: Checkmate! Good post.

BTW, Esther, got some new pix for you at TTW. Enjoy. :)

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Esther said...

haha...true enough, patrick.

LOL felis.

Welcome back, BW!! Loved the pix!!!!!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger renee said...

Thanks for the comments, but the sanity/insanity of Bobby Fisher is not worth the energy of thought. The thought I hoped to share was ... the dignity of Jeremy Schaap, the awareness of the discrimination that so many of us deal with on a moment by moment basic, the resolve to let no one, ever, diminish your worth through the exclamation of their (non)superiority, the uncertainty of always knowing how to handle discrimination while being aware that the uncertainty in and of itself means 'they've won,' and the contentment of feeling good about who and whose you are at the end of the day. Hmm, maybe I asked you all to read between the lines. My apology. But now the lines are here.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Tom Carter said...

Fischer is definitely a kook and doesn't deserve any degree of concern. I don't care how hot his chess game is--or was.

By the way, I've been to Iceland. Let him spend his final years there. He deserves it.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Justin C. said...

Whoa, 9 months!!! That is a long time! And all because of a passport. I feel sorry for that person. Keep posting,
Conserve Terms(CT)

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

" Why the heck would Iceland even want this guy"
Something to do.
They are bored to death.
Iceland is no fun - they do suicides for daily entertaintment.

Anyway, look at Bjork, her artwok and activism and this will probably get you closer to their progressive mind.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Esther said...

Sorry gindy. Yep, blogger is not being all that nice today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home