Thursday, March 24, 2005

Another Cancer Factoid You Might Not Know

Many people have heard that if a woman has a child, it lowers her risk for certain cancers. What you may not know, that I recently learned at the UCLA Breast Cancer Center (that my regular OB/GYN never told me), is that if a woman waits until her late 30s to have her first child, it can actually increase her risk for breast cancer. You see, if there are pre-cancerous cells already there, the production of milk will speed up the process of those cells turning cancerous. You may want to pass on the word to any female friends/loved ones who may be at risk.

3 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Esther said...

It could happen like that, yes. But again, it's only if they have the pre-cancerous cells already.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Sergeant America said...

I can relate ... (to cancer).


Due to living in Florida as a youth, serving in various "tropical" areas during my Air Force "Days" (... including Riverside, CA) and buying into the "healthy tan" lie ... skin cancer is "NOT" my friend!


Having nine to ten "quarter sized" areas removed from my body's "exposed portions" every six months to a year (... sometimes only, one or two), I may just "disappear" by 2036 ... unless taken prior ... ;)

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Esther said...

I'm sorry you can relate, SA. Cancer is the scurge of our time. Hang in there!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home