Friday, March 25, 2005

Do You Have IBS? You Might Not...

For over a decade, I have suffered from something that many people can identify with -- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) -- but I believe what many are starting to say about it -- I was misdiagnosed.

The disorder involves the digestive system. I'd be talking to someone one second and then feeling like an ice pick had been thrust into my stomach the next. NOT FUN. Things progressed and my GI doctor ran test after horrible test. The upshot?

She had me on a cazillion pills but her tests proved nothing. Annoyed and let down by western medicine, I turned to a holistic chiropractor (that's a funny story, but I digress). He almost instantly made a different diagnosis: I, like many Americans, was dehydrated. Did you know that you're supposed to drink half your body weight in ounces every day? I hated drinking any liquid, so I barely drank anything. He said depriving my body of the much-needed liquid pretty much had shut down my digestive system. So I have been drinking almost 60 ounces of water a day ever since.

Do I feel better? Like you wouldn't believe. Try it folks. It's an easy, affordable fix.

7 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger RomanWanderer said...

A gym teacher once told me that we should drink one cup of water for each 7 kilograms of our weight. So, if you weighed 49 kg (moi), you'd drink 7 cups a day.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Esther said...

RW, thanks for inspiring this post, btw. As for 7 cups a day, that doesn't sound like it's nearly enough unless I'm picturing this/you wrong.

Anyone know how to translate cups to ounces? I'd try but um.... I'm at work! ;) OK, fine, and I'm mathematically challenged too.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Sergeant America said...

Well, that's another ... item shared in proper manner. ;)


The various types of difficulty "suffered" by our fellow man/woman seems to only come to the surface if a commerical can be generated to sell some "snake oil ..."


Aspirin from tree bark ... etc., etc. Give me a shaman, anytime!

Heal Me!


Alas, at this point in time, I only seem to "suffer" from "BS" ... from time to time ... LOL


Sidebar: This comment is not intended to make light of the condition, IBS, or take attention away from the topic discussed.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger RomanWanderer said...

Maybe she meant it as a minimum.
I found this link http://members.aol.com/SaveMoDoe2/importance.htm#How
But all I know about the system here is that 1 kg=2.2 pounds

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Hey RW, your link backs up what my doctor said. Cool.

SA, you always crack me up. I love that you have a case of B.S. And no worries on your sidebar. ;)

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger RomanWanderer said...

'RW, thanks for inspiring this post, btw'
Ooops. just wanted to point out that the post was nto inspired by an IBS discussion, but by a how-to-stay-awake-at-work discussion. (Drink lotsa of water, as Esther pointed out)

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger RomanWanderer said...

We drink lots of water at home because most Italian bottled water is really really good. Here I find myself drinking mostly tap water which is not a good idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home