Thursday, February 24, 2005

Anti-Semitic Crimes Spike Across Houston Area

Hat tip to the ADL about this Daily Sentinel article. Eight such hate crimes occurred in a three-week period in December.

"Most of the crimes involve vandalism at public places, including houses of worship and a Jewish community center. But there have also been threatening messages left on answering machines at synagogues in Houston and The Woodlands."

But that's not all.

"In some cases, the words 'Juden Raus' — meaning 'Jews Out' — were painted on sidewalks and benches in southwest Houston. Swastikas also were painted on eight of the large red domes decorating overpasses along a freeway, and vulgarities regarding Jews were painted on a wall at a restaurant. Swastikas and slogans such as 'Jews Die' and 'Aliens' were scratched into the doors of Congregation Brith Shalom in Bellaire and Congregation Emanu El. Swastikas were etched into window panes at the Houston Hillel student center and the Houston Congregation for Reform Judaism."

The sad thing is that they don't have any suspects in these cases. Someone or some group is trying to terrorize Houston's Jewish population. I wonder if our war on terror stretches to Houston's borders.

6 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Esther said...

They have no leads or clues or witnesses. Just sucks. I hope you're right and it's only a small group.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Tom Carter said...

I'm sure these aren't Muslim "terrorists," either. Sounds like run-of-the-mill ignorant rednecks to me.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Esther said...

patrick, I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for the reminder. That is frightening. Poor kid.

Tom, I was wondering the same, but would average rednecks use words like they did? Odds are it's not average, but rather it's some organized group of right-wing white supremisists... or perhaps patrick's suggestion. Either way, it's pretty scary.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger RomanWanderer said...

I'll tell you something about Texas. A 40 year old guy from Dallas was excited when he heard I was Jewish, and proceeded to show of his AlpehBet he had learned in his Conservative Christian's Church classes, as well as some hebrew. He then went on to profess his love and support for Israel. A few days later he asked me:"You know, that thing about Jews being stingy, do you see that in your family?"

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger RomanWanderer said...

Oh, this guy was an educated man, a family therapist (not mine thankfuly).

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Esther said...

It's always disheartening to hear that these sterotypes are believed/said without a thought. I had a friend at work, who actually grew up on a farm in northern california... i told her my family was really good at accounting (except me) and she was like, "That makes sense." I looked at her and she immediately caught herself and said, "I can't believe I just said that. I'm so sorry." She felt horrible but that's how ingrained some of this stuff is. At least she knew she was stereotyping and now will be far more aware of that. Your Texas friend on the other hand....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home