Monday, December 12, 2005

My Open Letter To Barbra Streisand

Dear Barbra...

You have been an Icon to every young Jewish girl born since the 1960s. We wanted to be like you, to know you, to be as talented as you, to be as influential as you... to be just like you. But now I find myself asking... what in the world has happened to you? When did you abandon Israel? Because your silence on the subject has been deafening. Surely you've realized that Israel is in a fight for her very existence. Not only that, anti-Semitism is rising everywhere -- even in this country. Yet many of those people who have those tendencies or have a predisposition to have them -- in this country -- still admire you. You could make a real difference.

The LA Times has been spewing anti-Israel rhetoric for years now. Did that motivate you to cancel your subscription? No. Yet when they fired their columnist Richard Scheer, who is known to not be a great friend to Israel, you spring into action. I can't tell you how betrayed (on Israel's behalf) I felt by that action.

I thought, maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe people aren't covering your statements. So if you had made any, I figured they'd probably be on your personal Web site. Yet, as I searched your site, nary a word was said about Israel. Plenty against our president, our war against Islamists (my word, not yours) that it's painfully obvious you don't understand -- as well as any left-wing cause that could probably survive without your two cents' worth.

We in the Western world are in a war for our very survival. Granted, you can't save us. Obviously you don't have that power. But if you spoke up for Israel, even visited, it could go a long way to helping Israel's reputation in this country. If Israel, as the Western country most on the frontline of this war, can remain alive and vibrant, maybe there's hope for the rest of us.

17 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger beakerkin said...

Why do you pick the dumbest member of my family as a spokesman. She is a distant blood relative and a dimwit.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Beak, is it wrong of me to have read your comment and laughed my ass off? Hey, we can't pick our relatives. No one will hold it against ya. ;)

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The really funny bit is that the lefties keep quotting her dumbest lines as they were real perls of wisdom.

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What yoy wrote is very eloquent. I hope you left it at her site or e-mailed it to her.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger American Crusader said...

I think Barbara Streisand has been influenced by the "Hollywood mentality". For some reason actors believe that since they are known to the public that their opinions are superior to "ordinary Americans." I applaud when celebrities use their status to bring attention to famine, AIDS, oppression of women or disenfranchised people and even to environmental issues but for the most part I think they have simplistic world views and are often hypocritical. When Barbara takes a private jet to fly cross-country, she is using more energy than the average person on this planet will use in 3.5 years.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger American Crusader said...

"breast cancer needs to stop right now"

This is where I think celebrities should use their influence. They have the ability to reach large segments of the population and can actually do some good.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

esther:

"Beak, is it wrong of me to have read your comment and laughed my ass off?"

on behalf of my family, no it is not wrong.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Ms. Streisand seems to be more concerned about her own image than about the welfare of Israel. Supporting Israel might interfere with her popularity in Hollywood. At least, that's my take on her.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Soooo true, felis.

Seawitch, you can't leave things at her site, but I am seriously considering snailmailing it to her, thank you.

AC -- couldn't agree more!

DM -- bwahahahahahaha.

AOW, sadly, I think that's what's become of her. She used to be a lot more. Ever since her Oprah appearance, where she was preoccupied with telling Oprah how she has to have the flowers on her balcony match her decor inside the apartment... I concluded she's lost touch with reality. Oprah, even with her billions, looked at her like she was nuts. Now you know Barbra's in trouble!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Woohoo, Rory! You are ON FIRE!!! :) Well done.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger beakerkin said...

For those of you who are unaware Drummaster is my Nephew.

The problem is insularity of culture in Hollywood and Academia.
I am in the early part of Radosh's
book Red Star over Hollywood . The Communists decided that the film medium was the way to reach the masses. I will do a book review later.

 
At 3:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"you can't leave things at her site"

No bloody wonder! Why in the world would she want to be confronted with common sense opinions?

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Esther: Oprah, even with her billions, looked at her like she was nuts. Now you know Barbra's in trouble!
Well, what to say? Oprah is pretty good at hiding her surprise, so Babs must really have been something in that interview.

"You can't leave things at her site." That speaks volumes to me. A closed mind cannot be reached.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger American Crusader said...

Did anybody really believe that even if Barbara had read this letter, that it would have made any difference?

 
At 4:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just going to quote the Simpsons on this.

I could please Miss Barbra Streisand,
By spitting on the flag,
Or strangling a bald eagle,
On the cover of some mag,
But I love this country,
To me she has no sins,
If you don’t buy my record,
Then al-Qaeda wins.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger cube said...

Barbra lives in the world of do as I say, don't do as I do. Her rants are tiresome & reveal her lack of political savvy. I agree that she should stick to entertainment & leave politics to the politicians.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Deadman said...

Here's what happened to one fan wwhop tried to get Babs' autograph:

http://peacemoonbeam.com/aug%2025.html

Horsefeathers, I tell ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home