Sunday, April 17, 2005

It's a Jungle Out There

I live in a suburb. Not out in the boonies by any stretch. I'm having dinner with some friends when one of them, who literally lives in the woods, talks about the various animals who happen upon her home -- deer, raccoons, etc. She then mentioned she's even once seen an opossum. I've never seen one, which I'm perfectly fine with. As I walk her out to her car in my driveway, I notice our motion-detector light is on. I warn her to check her convertible for animals, almost as a joke. I then see the ugliest creature ever and I call her over. She thought I was kidding. It was an opossum! We then spent the next 20 minutes trying to encourage the bugger to get out from under her car. We ran water down the driveway, and it finally left. Anyone have any similar stories? (I know that Felis does.)

7 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Esther, you're probably going to find this hard to believe but, just recently, my boyfriend rescued one from a construction site in the Bronx...and brought it home in his car. Ordinarily, he wouldn't have taken it out of the environment it was living in, but he felt it would be a lot safer, in our suburban backyard, than scrounging through garbage pails with buildings being demolished all around it. And, since we already have opposums living here, he probably figured one more wouldn't really make any difference. I know a lot of people find them repulsive, but I think they've got a worse reputation than they really deserve.

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger Sergeant America said...

These marsupials are the dumbest ... creatures one can find on the highways and byways!

If you straddle one with your front wheels while driving over it, by the time the vehicle's differential reaches its cowering form ... its head will "pop-up" (... I guess its primordial brain is making a query as to "what was that?") and it will be made roadkill is quick fashion.

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

A great story Esther.
I love all critters.

SA, the American Opssum must've done something right for it is the only marsupials, which survived outside Oceania with very tough competitors.

Anyway, check out what I have to put with around my place:
http://slattsnews.observationdeck.org/gallery/Australian-Mammals/illegal_alien
http://slattsnews.observationdeck.org/gallery/Australian-Mammals/possumbrush1

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

Oh, and Esther thank you very much for the link to my site.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Tran Sient said...

Travel almost any country highway in the South and you will see dead ones all over the place. Personally, I prefer them that way. They aren't exactly friendly.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Esther said...

Rory...yeah...that's pretty wild. Though the little guy did grow on me, I don't think I'd ever want him in my car, lol.

SA...lovely image. ;)

felis, you're very welcome. You see some wild critters.

Gindy...that snout is disturbing...and the thick rat tail...yikes.

tran, I can see why you'd feel that way but I'd just prefer to not see them at all.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Timothy Birdnow said...

They are all over the hills here in missouri, and are served as fine dining down in the Ozarks! I hear they`re delicious! (Don`t think I`d try one, though!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home