Monday, April 11, 2005

Oskar Schindler -- Hero?

Thanks to Steven Spielberg, the world sees Oskar Schindler as a hero to the Jews. Well, maybe not the whole world. Take my mother's cousin, for instance. He is the only survivor of his family that was in Europe during World War II. I think I've mentioned before how my mother's 92-year-old grandmother was taken behind her farmhouse and murdered by the Nazis. But my mother's then 16-year-old cousin was employed by Oskar Schindler. His life was spared. You'd think he'd love Schindler, right? You'd be wrong. He hated the man.

He hated him because he was powerless to stop Schindler from grabbing very young Jewish girls and raping them. So here is a man in the power position to end all power positions -- he held the possibility of life or death in his hands. Who could stop him? Who could say no?

Sure, he saved many and for that we should all be grateful, but at what cost to others? And if someone does a lot of horrible things in his life but also saves people, does he still get to be called a hero?

7 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Sergeant America said...

Thanks, Esther!


There's nothing like "fleshing out" a "legend" and giving TRUTH with personal experience ... I believe it would be "safe" to type ... "Nothing is all that it seems ..." :(


To read that a family's elder met such an abominable end is so very sad ... and, no doubt repeated so many times during those Dark Days!


I had family in Germany ... only on the wrong side of this tragedy. I believe that they received what they deserved! I am so sorry for your loss!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Esther said...

SA, thanks for saying that. Sorry about your family. That can't be easy either. But you are awesome!

GREAT find, Marty! Thanks for sharing it.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Tran Sient said...

I read Schindler's List. It is a complete lie if this is true.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

Tran Sient,
"I read Schindler's List"
Have you read
the Bradleey Smith's version which was only a script or the original novel by an Australian author Thomas Keneally?
Thomas Keneally removed the word "ficion" from the cover of his novel, which title by the way is: "Schindler's Arc".
Now Keneally is a dedicated Marxist, who also supports the current Eritrean regime (a bit of trivia).

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Gindy, sorry I meant to comment about your Spielberg/Castro connection -- my thoughts exactly. Spielberg is very iffy with me. I think he often does more harm than good.

tran sient it isn't necessarily all lies... just that it left a huge chunk out. I also am not sure his motives were all that pure. I mean, let's face it; if your life is in his hands, you can't exactly ask for a raise or complain, right?

felis, i haven't seen any of those. what's the gist?

great way of putting it, patrick.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

"what's the gist?"
Esther, in my opinion, this guy Keneally is using Schindler’s character as a cure for his "Western guilty conscience".
This novel and the film have very little to do with reality.
Spilberg’s problem is he always wants to be loved, popular and he always wishes to do the “right” thing by everybody.
It is not to say that Schindler did save over one thousand Jews and was admired by many of those who survived.
After all, his business in Germany on his return from Argentina was funded with the money of some of those grateful.
Then a lot of them did not see what your mother's cousin did.

Keneally's political convictions - it's just as I said trivia i(in this context).

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Esther said...

That certainly works, Felis. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home