Wednesday, April 06, 2005

A Guy Named Joe


Joe Lieberman
Originally uploaded by estherhoffman.
I promise to do an overview blog entry of the entire leadership conference, but for now I would love to share with you all some of the big moments from Senator Joe Lieberman's speech to us Tuesday morning -- the same caveats apply that I laid out with Colin Powell's speech yesterday.

He entered the ballroom to a standing ovation. After the applause died down, he said, "I accept your nomination," which drew lots of cheers. He then confided that his wife Hadassa, looking to cheer him up after the election loss, greeted him daily with, "Good morning, Mr. Vice President." He won over the crowd instantly.

Joe's speech followed republican Norm Coleman's, whom I've heard before at an AIPAC function. One of the most amusing moments (yes, I realize amusing isn't a word often used with Joe) was when he told us about this amazing book by Novak entitled On Two Wings. Everyone started laughing. Confused, Joe looked to Abe Foxman as to why. Abe said, "Norm also spoke of this book." Joe laughed good-naturedly. Now, onto the meat of the speech.

He spoke of the transformational role that the ADL has played in American history, his pride in what we've done and the extraordinary opportunity it's provided for so many groups.

I was incredibly proud when he said that we are at war with Islamist terror -- not a war on terror as so many say. He called a spade a spade. You go, Joe! He said that Israel is a beacon of hope in the Middle East. He then informed us about a bill he's helping to sponsor in Congress called the Advanced Democracy Act -- and the pursuit of it as a basis for our foreign policy.

He sees two front lines (tho I can't really recall what this is in reference to):

1) our fellow Americans -- who are Muslim
2) immigrants -- who bring vibrancy to American life

He felt immigrants have suffered since 9/11, often being held for no reason thanks to immigration law. He is someone who is fully aware what immigrants have contributed to the USA. They have built it up to be the great country that we are and he doesn't want to see that be jeopardized.

Those are the main highlights. He struck me as a true mensch. I liked him a lot, and he made me proud to have supported him the way I have.

4 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

"I was incredibly proud when he said that we are at war with Islamist terror -- not a war on terror as so many say. He called a spade a spade."
I love it.
Unfortunately the Dems only "use" Joe Lieberman when "the going gets tough" whereas he should be their frontliner all the time.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Tran Sient said...

When you hear Lieberman talk, it becomes obvious that he is a Democrat only in name. I would have voted for him if he hadn't put that Gore guy on the ticket.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Justin C. said...

I need to get caught up on news. Sorry for not commenting lately.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Esther said...

Sorry for my delay in answering the Norm Coleman question, gindy.

I've heard him before. He's a bit much at times. I took next to no notes so that leads me to believe I didn't think much of the speech. He suggested the same book as Joe. As Norm finished, Joe entered and the two hugged. But before he finished, Norm quoted David Ben Gurion, "Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." That's it for my notes on him.

I do recall when he spoke to the dinner I went to for AIPAC a while ago. You aren't supposed to get political at AIPAC functions (since they insist on it being about Israel, not about endorsing a particular party) and Norm went off on Kerry like crazy. People started walking out of the dinner. I didn't like Kerry either, and it made even me uncomfortable. It was very uncool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home