Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Yay, Football!

David Brinn has an article at Israel21c celebrating the pigskin and how it's a bond between Americans and Israelis. I love that! In American football scores a touchdown in Israel, Brinn shares the wonderful news about the owner of the Super Bowl champions -- The New England Patriots -- Robert Kraft, who re-dedicated the Kraft Family Field in Jerusalem. It is there that over 1,000 Israelis play in the American Football In Israel (AFI) league. You got to love a ceremony that has "The Star Spangled Banner" and "Hatikva" play.

Kraft shared the following at a press conference:

"The Patriots has been able to win, because we stressed the team - everyone putting the team ahead of their own individual objectives. I see some parallels between the state of Israel and the Patriots in the sense that we have people from a lot of different racial, social and economic backgrounds all coming together for a greater purpose. And in many ways, I see the same think (sic) in Israeli culture."

High school football is in full swing and a girls' flag-football league now exists because of a donation made by Kraft's wife, Myra.

My favorite part of the article:

Kraft is also heartened by such far-reaching implications derived from his philanthropic investment in Israel - ("The media still create the image that Israel is not a safe place. The fact that I'm willing to come here right after winning the Super Bowl [says a lot]") - but he also has some selfish reasons.

"I love America, I love Israel, I love Jerusalem, and I love American football.
To be able to bring that all together here is a great sense of joy for our family," he said.

"It wasn't until we dedicated this field in '99 here in Jerusalem that we won three out of the last four Super Bowls. I don't think it's a mere coincidence," he added with a smile and twinkle in his eye.


Now if my Redskins could only win another Super Bowl.... Perhaps they need to make a trip to Jerusalem!

2 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger RomanWanderer said...

So someone else is playing football now besides America :P
Nah just kidding, may they all have happy star-tikvah games for many years to come.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Oh there's always room for the pigskin. I'm sure there's a kosher joke in there somewhere, but I'll refrain. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home