Saturday, February 12, 2005

It's My Party Too

A lot of us here along the Blogway have been discussing feeling abandoned by the Democratic Party. We realize, unlike the party, that having John Kerry as our candidate was a huge mistake (not my own -- I didn't vote for him in the primary!). But it doesn't seem like the Dems are learning anything from their loss. If they're going to let someone like Howard Dean run the DNC, it leaves many of us with very little hope that they'll move back towards the center.

Apparently, it isn't just the Dems who are facing an inter-party struggle. There is a faction of the Republican Party that wants to abandon the agenda of the far right and bring things back to the center. Leading the charge is former New Jersey Governor Christie Todd Whitman -- with her new endeavor, It's My Part Too. If the Dems don't do something similar, I'm afraid I'm going to end up finding more in common with this new movement than I do with the party I've been registered with since I became old enough to vote.

4 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Esther said...

60% of the people who voted for John Kerry didn't vote for him but rather against Bush. I don't know anyone actually who voted for him. They all (lots) voted against Bush.

I live in CA. By the time the primary got to me, there wasn't anyone left I felt good about. We haven't had an open convention in decades. Everything is decided by New Hampshire/Iowa -- they have a stranglehold on our political system.

I blame the democratic party because of what i saw from everyone at the convention and what i've heard post-election. Those other officials go on the political talk shows and say what they feel is the reason they lost so that's why I feel I can say they don't get it -- at least in my opinion. I don't know what doesn't make sense to you about that.

I accept your comment about Dean being organizer rather than issue/policy maker. that's fair. But I think his talking about "red state/blue state" shows he doesn't get it. There is no such thing. Every state had plenty of people who voted for both. It is so devisive to use those terms -- I'm a believer in the purple country concept. Also, his saying he hates all republicans wasn't exactly endearing.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Esther said...

"From a centrist Carter"

Carter a centrist? Are you joking? He was to the left of McGovern. A guy who praises Castro and Chavez is someone you see as a centrist?

Anyway, you spent your whole response to me talking about Bush. I didn't write this to promote Bush on any level. My concern is what's happening to the democratic party and how I feel like I'm not welcome in it anymore because everything they are spouting these days is out of line with the way i'm feeling. So if votes for Bush were against Kerry, that simply supports my point.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Tom Carter said...

Esther, I'll save some bandwidth by just saying, "Ditto!" I feel just like you do.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Thanks Tom.

Marty, I appreciate your words. We'll agree to disagree about Carter. I guess the best way for me to explain what I feel the dems have lost can be found in a quote from JFK:

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

I don't feel the Dems feel this way anymore -- unless the president has a "D" after his name. Do you think people would be so against this war if Clinton were the one sending the troops? I can't help but wonder if that's true and if it is, that leaves me feeling kind of sick to my stomach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home