Saturday, March 12, 2005

An Interesting Development

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I read the following news. It looks like Egypt, after almost 45 days, has finally released on bail opposition leader Ayman Nour, who is also a presidential hopeful. We all know Condi showed her displeasure with Egypt for imprisoning him but that seemed to not move the Mubarak government. At least not right away. Looking frail and still wearing his white prison jumpsuit, Nour was able to speak in front of a growing crowd about how they are paying a price for their search for freedom, but their movement will not be destroyed. Good for him! He repeated his decision to run against Hosni Mubarak, who has held the position for 24 years (easy when no one is running against you). Nour's Tomorrow party is now poised to give Mubarak a run for his money, so to speak. I haven't heard how Nour feels about Israel. Anyone else?

2 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Timothy Birdnow said...

You have a very interesting blog, Esther!

Yep, freedom is blowing in the wind! Those who have favored American intervention in the Mid-East have certainly been proven right. Tyrrants now fear being Saddamized, and the huddled masses now know they have a champion. Iraq was Geo-political thinking at it`s finest.

Now we have to see if everyone will stay the course.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Esther said...

Thanks Timothy. You know I like yours too. I love your term of "being Saddamized" -- cracks me up.

I think the US will stay the course. Not sure about everyone else. But right now I'm also worrying about Israel. So much of what I read sounds like a big fat trap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home